Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Virtues of Vinegar

I'll admit it, I typically use Melaleuca products for most of my cleaning. I'm really happy with the products, especially Sol-u-Mel because (among other things) it can get marker out of my carpet. But recently, I discovered the virtues of vinegar. White vinegar, that is. For a long time, I thought vinegar was just a liquid used for cooking. And to be honest, I wasn't really sure what you cooked with vinegar except for coloring hard boiled eggs.

Well guess what?! There are a ton of uses for vinegar, and I'll list a few for you that I personally do....

  • Clean hard wood floors with a vinegar and water mixture. (I keep a spray bottle full of 1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar and use that for everything!)
  • Pour 1/4-1/2 cup of vinegar into the laundry machine during the wash and/or during the rinse cycle to get cleaner, brighter, softer clothes.
  • Spray windows and glass with a vinegar and water mixture and wipe dry.
  • Wipe down counters, stove, oven and kitchen appliances with a vinegar and water mixture.
  • Clean stains out of the microwave with about 1/4 cup of vinegar and a splash of water in a bowl, heat it for a minute or so until it steams, then wipe the inside of the microwave clean.
  • Add 1/2 cup vinegar to the dishwasher in the rinse agent compartment to help remove water spots.
  • Put a cup filled with plain white vinegar on the top rack of an empty dishwasher and run a cycle thru to clean the interior.

What do you use vinegar for at your house? I've love to know more uses....leave me a comment!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you already have a Downy ball for the washing machine, put your vinegar in there and drop it in at the beginning of the wash. Makes it SOOO much easier for me!

I have still been reluctant to use vinegar for cleaning, but I will ... some day.

Oh, and I have an interesting use for apple cider vinegar ... I use it as a conditioning rinse for my hair. ;)