Sunday, January 22, 2012

Soupy Success

Today I held my 5th Annual Soup Swap. Man, I love soup!!


Even more than my love of soup, is my love of having friends and family over for a casual gathering. One of the best things about soup swap is that everyone who attends not only gets to go home with 6 quarts of delicious, fresh soup - but it doesn't really cost them anything except time. I love a good home-based-business, don't get me wrong. I try to support stay-at-home moms as much as my budget allows. But honestly, my group of friends is so tired of being invited out to a jewelry party, or a purse party, or a food party - where you're just expected to buy something to be polite, even if you don't really need said item. Not so with a soup swap! Nobody had to pull out their wallet today - and that's a nice feeling.


So, the gist of my swap was that we only had 6 people - good on one hand, because everybody was able to take home each of the other soups, plus one quart of their own. The downside was that because we all picked our own soup last, we had a hard time deciding who was "first picked" and "last picked" (it's not just the first physical soup picked, it's the one soup in total that's gone first). But none-the-less, we still had some fun prizes to give away after the festivities - we just did it "door prize" style. 


The soups present this year included:

  • my own white bean and ham
  • minestrone
  • loaded baked potato soup
  • beef chili
  • greens with beans
  • potato bacon

We even indulged in a bit of wine mixed with orange juice! LOL, it was supposed to be mimosas but the champagne tasted like malt vinegar so we opened a bottle of wine instead. I thought maybe with the relatively low turn-out today, this may be my last soup swap (at least as the host). But the outpouring of canned and non-perishable food items that my friends brought for the local food pantry was so awesome - I may just give it another year and see what happens. Until then.... eat more soup!

No comments: